Monday, December 7, 2009

Hot!



Man, I never thought I would say this, but it is hot out! The currently observed weather is 39F with no wind/wind chill. I went to the Waste Barn to check things out there, and I kept getting over-heated whenever they closed the main door. The machines in Waste were neat to watch, and the people are really nice.

Oh, I forgot to mention how much McMurdo is into recycling. Everything that you throw away has to be sorted. You are responsible for separating all of your waste into different categories of recycled items. Then, it goes to the Waste Barn where it gets packaged for off-site disposal. I was loading cardboard into a baler, which takes loose cardboard and squashes it into cubes that are wrapped in wire the thickness of coat hanger wire. I think they are quite a deal heavier than bales of hay of equivalent size. Nick mentioned that we are allowed a margin of error of 2% in the containers that we send on, and we haven't ever gotten a container back due to going over. Neat stuff.