Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Coolest Thing!

On Monday, we were "picking daisies". It's an activity where everyone goes out around the station and picks up little bits of wire, plastic, and other things. Basically, we clean up the station. It's not half bad, as the weather was beautiful, and the scenery was compliant. The Oden has been back and forth around the Ross Sea breaking up ice. I need to go out today again and take a look. It docked for a quick re-fuel, but I missed it.

From Antarctica


Today, I did the coolest thing in my life up to this point. I rode a skidoo up to 1,400 feet on Mount Erebus. It was really relaxing getting to get out of town and pilot the skidoo. I rode as a passenger on the way there and drove on the way back. I didn't see much as visibility today was not very agreeable, but it was still a great trip. I am really grateful that I was able to do that, and I look forward to more cool stuff when I hit New Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii.