Thursday, February 25, 2010

Glacier-fed Lakes Are...

Blue. I tried to book accomodation at Lake Tekapo yesterday, but I couldn't find anything. I decided to pick the next stop along the intercity bus route, which is Twizel. Twizel is the closest city to Mount Cook. I want to book passage to Mount Cook, but my internet connection is not cooperating. It's just as well, as I need to give my feet a rest. I walked about 22km today on the Twiizel River Walk. I'm a little disappointed that such a short distance took me about five hours. Also, I found out that the Twizel River has a Didymo infection. This made the river an ugly green instead of the usual clear water. I stopped short of Lake Benmore, as I wanted to make sure I had enough daylight to make it back. I may walk out to Lake Pukaki tomorrow, but I will probably just head to the smaller Lake Ruataniwha. I have plenty of pictures, but no bandwidth. That should change when I get to The Big Island in two weeks.